Sunday 6 May 2012

Chores

I tell her that I’ll take the rubbish out later
for now there’s football and wine
I go to get some cheese
she blocks my way
yells that later is too late
I’ll disturb the neighbours
like they never make noise
fucking all hours
what I wouldn’t do to go down there whilst he’s out
I begin to get a semi
realise I’m in the middle of an argument and lose it
damn
I tell her “Ok! Ok! I’ll take rubbish out”
she walks off victoriously
I go straight to the fridge
grab the cheese and head back to the TV
this is the life
wine, cheese and sport
if only that blonde from downstairs was here too
I hear footsteps go to the kitchen
the silence of exasperation is deafening
she storms in demanding to know why I lied
I tell her it can wait
I won’t wake the neighbours
she can’t judge me by her own noisy standards
look how many plates you crack or chip compared to me
that last statement dives like a whale
a long list of forgotten chores is read off to me
I tune out after a while as there’s an important free kick in the game
she’s staring at me expectantly
if I don’t give a decent answer now then I’m sleeping on the sofa
but what’s she been saying?
That damn sofa is too small for me
I look out the window for hope
I find it
the blonde from downstairs is putting out her rubbish
“Ok! Ok! I was wrong. I’ll put the rubbish out” I say
right answer
she walks off victoriously
I rush to the bins
chat to the blonde
she’s split up with that dick who fucks her
my semi returns.

No comments:

Post a Comment