Wednesday 2 May 2012

Another 40 Years


I’m quietly reflecting with a Guinness
black, Dublin velvet in the corner of a pub booth
the rain is hammering down outside
shading the day with a miserable hue
work is a good half day away
I’m in Heaven
a group of old men hold court in the next booth
they’re talking of landlords past
Tommy Mochran was always dapper
but then they all were back then
I look at the bar to find the current landlord
this chainpub has no landlord
just a succession of business graduates
with no time to have beers waiting for the regulars
they’re too busy working out profit margins
these old men seem ridiculously happy
too old to work
too young to worry about death
they look forward to each day
they’re much like me when I was 18
this resemblance fills me with hope
maybe one day I’ll recapture that exuberance
the last decade’s worn it away
perhaps due to unrealistic expectation
did these old men have similar worries?
it’s easy to say they were from a more simple time
but I’m sure they wanted to put more than bread on the table
they wanted to nail that centrefold to it as well
I’ll find out the answer one day
but first I have to pay my dues
rushing out into the rain
to face life head on
for another 40 years.

No comments:

Post a Comment